Stress and Well-Being
Why is mental health important before pregnancy?
Women with poor mental health before pregnancy are more likely to have complications, including stillbirth and low birth weight.
- How you feel mentally affects your whole body.
- A good state of mental health will help you cope with the normal stresses of life.
- Some people are at a higher risk for mental health issues.
Both partners can take care of their mental health by:
- Taking time to relax.
- Getting enough sleep.
- Building a support network.
- Accepting help.
- Eating a healthy diet.
- Exercising regularly.
- Seeing your health care provider regularly.
- Seeking help and treatment if you feel emotionally or physically unwell.
If you take medications for mental health concerns, discuss options with your health care provider before conception.
Do you find it difficult to balance the different roles in your life? Take this online quiz to see if you’re in balance. Are you wondering how your mental health measures up? Take this online quiz to find out.