Sexually Transmitted Infections
Get tested for sexually-transmitted infections and seek treatment if needed.
- Sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) can cause permanent damage to your ability to have children, and health problems for you and your unborn baby.
- STIs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea may not have symptoms such as discharges, burning sensations or itching.
- You or your partner may have a sexually-transmitted infection and not even know it.
- Syphilis has been linked to premature birth, stillbirth and death shortly after birth.
- The human immune-deficiency virus (HIV) can be transmitted from the mother to the baby during pregnancy, labour and birth, or through breastfeeding.