Breastfeeding is the normal and unequaled way to feed your baby. Babies need only breastmilk for the first 6 months.
Experts such as the World Health Organizations and Health Canada recommend breastfeeding up to 2 years of age and beyond.
Did you know?
- Babies who are not breastfed have a higher risk of ear infections, lung and breathing issues, diarrhea, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
- Mothers who do not breastfeed have a higher risk of health issues such as postpartum bleeding, diabetes, breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
- Families who do not breastfeed their baby, have additional financial costs to purchase and prepare infant formula.
In addition, breastfeeding:
- Is convenient, since breastmilk is at the right temperature and available anytime.
- Is environmentally friendly.
- Can help with child spacing (contraception).
It is always best to breastfeed, even if it is only for a short time.